Below you will find information and resources for individuals with disabilities. If you have a question about a specific area, feel free to contact us by phone or send us a note through our Contact Us form.
Overview: Kansas Self-Direct
The Kansas Self-Directed Services program operates within the Federal Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) approved waiver. Within the approved waiver authorization, the State of Kansas has elected to operate its Self-Directed Services program using the Participant/Common Law Employer option. This option defines the participant as the legal employer of their Direct Support Worker (DSW). The participant enrolls with an approved Fiscal Employer/Agent (F/EA), which functions as the participant’s agent in performing payroll and employment tax related activities. In Kansas, the Fiscal/Employer Agent (F/EA) is referred to as a Financial Management Services (FMS) provider.
As the employer, the participant has many employer-related responsibilities including:
- Hiring the Direct Support Worker (DSW).
- Determining the tasks to be performed by the DSW.
- Providing training to the DSW on the services and use of the State-required time and attendance system.
- Managing and supervising the day-to-day service related activities of the DSW.
- Maintaining control and oversight over the DSW to prevent fraud, waste, abuse, and ensure compliance with Federal and State regulations.
- Ensuring all services are recorded through the State-required time and attendance system.
- Ensuring the DSW is aware of the Participant/Employer’s responsibilities as the employer and the DSW’s responsibilities as the employee.
- Coordinating with the Participant/Employer’s FMS to ensure each DSW has completed the proper employee tax forms, is enrolled to use the State time and attendance system, has completed State-required background checks, and other required HR paperwork as needed.
The FMS provider supports the participant by performing Fiscal related activities including:
- Ensuring the Participant/Employer has enrolled with appropriate Federal and State tax agencies and has been assigned an Employer Identification Number (EIN) with these agencies.
- Performing Kansas Medicaid billing on behalf of the Participant/Employer for services provided by the DSW to the Participant/Employer.
- Disbursing Medicaid funds on behalf of the Participant/Employer in the form of wages to their DSWs and Federal and State Employer taxes.
- Withholding and paying payroll taxes from the DSW on behalf of the Participant/Employer.
- Filing Federal and State employer tax returns and issuing W-2s on behalf of the Participant/Employer.
- Processing State-required background checks and enrollment forms for setting up the Participant/Employer’s DSW.
- Providing Information and Assistance to the Participant/Employer, as needed, to support them in directing their services.
The Self-Direction Toolkit is a comprehensive guide to assist participants in directing their own care. The handbook was developed in 2006 by The University of Kansas, with input from numerous agencies across the State that support individuals with disabilities. The handbook is dated, but still provides relevant information about directing your own care.
- Self-Direction Toolkit — Entire Manual (over 200 pages)
Kansas Department for Aging and Disability Services (KDADS)
The Kansas Department for Aging and Disability Services (KDADS) is the Kansas department that administers the Home and Community Based Services (HCBS) Waiver programs in Kansas. The website contains information on services as well as selected news/updates on programs.
The Kansas Personal Care Directory
The Kansas Personal Care Directory was published by the Kansas Lifespan Coalition and is a directory of supportive care and respite workers for families. The directory is free and connects people looking for personal care workers with potential workers.
Kansas Commission on Disability Concerns
The KCDC provides policy guidance to the government of Kansas and disability-related information to the people of Kansas.